Feb 25, 2016

My Top 10 favorite books for Kids

As a Childrens' book Author, people are often asking me "what are your favorite Kids books?". This is something that I often have to reflect on, as these books that always been a favorite of mine, also had quite a big impact on my art and writing. I want to present them in no particular order as they have all inspired me in very different ways and ranking them is not something that I feel I necessarily need to do.

So without any more delay, here they Are:



How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

I always loved the way that Dr. Seuss was able to mix interesting stories and morals with complete imaginative embellishment. His nonsensical language always inspired be to believe that good kids books can also be really really silly. Link



The Paper Bag Princess

Even though I would not have been able to articulate it at the time. I always found the success in Robert Munchs' books was that they were always really relate-able. They were the perfect length and usually really nice traditional artwork to accompany the story. Link



Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day

The detail in a Richard Scarry book was always something that captivated me. I loved just pouring myself over the illustrations and reveling in the minutiae of what was going on in his excruciatingly detailed scenes. I have no doubt that this influenced my own illustration practices. Link



The Tale of Peter Rabbit

Beatrix Potters' books always appealed to me as they seemed to typify what I thought a "classic" kids books should look and sounds like. The traditional story accompanied by the classic style illustrations help her books to remain these timeless pieces that people want to share with each new generation. Link



Curious George

Who wouldn't love a story about a monkey that gets himself into all sorts of hi-jinks. I think that we can all related to a child that is well intentioned but sometimes runs afoul of certain situations because of our natural curious nature. The fact that they never portrayed George as "bad", really resonated with me. Link



Where the Wild Things Are

When I was a child I began this fascination with drawing monsters and other weird things. I have no doubt that this book was an early influence in that sphere. Different kinds of big ugly beasties, no doubt would have added fuel to my fire. Link



Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web was always had a surprising amount of emotional range for a childrens book. I remember friendship being a central theme and how feeling of sadness and loss can often go along with that. As a child, it certainly made me reflect on a number of thing and contributed to my own emotional growth. Link



The Sword in the Stone

As an adult, I can appreciate that many of the transformations that Wart undergoes in this book are analogies for the process of a boy becoming a man. As a child however, I was captivated by this story filled with magic and wonderment. The story of King Arthur and Merlin has been often replicated in childrens media, and I think that this book is one of the earliest and best examples of that tale. Link



The Little Prince

What can I say about The Little Prince that hasn't already been said elsewhere and better. Such a sweet simple story that has inspired English and French children alike. I was always drawn to the themes of sadness and solitude, which are often avoided in books meant for children. In the end, I believe that this elevates this story to this timeless tale that resonates with young people now, as much as it did when it was first written. Link



Thanks for taking a look at my ten favorite childrens books. I would urge you to check any of them out for yourself, and really reflect on why these books inspired you as a child or continue to, as an adult. Thanks! :)